Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Vegemite - The power of B

I first tried vegemite at breakfast in Bateman's Bay... and I nearly gagged. I thought it was just awful. So strong, and reminded me of stomach acid. When we were at a party on St. Patrick's Day, vegemite came up in the conversation. There was an Australian woman that said she really liked it and that it really required an acquired taste. Her boyfriend, an American, said that he grew to it even though he at first shared my reaction. She recommended that I try it with certain combinations.... So, feeling inspired, I picked up a jar at Safeway. When I put it in the cart, Billy made it quite clear to me that I was "on my own" with the vegemite!

So I must admit... after two tastings... I now really like it! It's power over me is overwhelming. In fact, I'm going to have it for breakfast this morning. It's all in the toppings... I took some wheat bread, put on some unsalted butter, spread on the vegemite (in a generous quantity - which really means a slightly less than thin layer).. added a slice of white cheddar cheese... Mmm, mmm, mmmm!! It is really, really good (though a wee bit salty)... And think of all the benefits (besides of course the butter and cheese)... on the jar it says that Vegemite is the "World's Strongest Concentration of Vitamin B".

Despite this amazing benefit, Billy still refuses to consume it.

1 comment:

Marjie said...

I'm totally with Billy on this one. We tried vegemite when we were down under; never again. I don't care what it does for you.