Monday, March 5, 2007

Teaching, sailing and tennis!

My first blog entry! After some scolding by my mother about my lack of input, I have decided to try out this blogging thing..
So while Kersti has been busy going to classes (she has had class 11 days in a row!), I have been goofing off even more than usual. I have been sailing twice already, aboard a 35-foot boat called "Silk" It is quite fast, especially downwind, and the crew are all experienced and fun guys. I went out Wednesday night for the first time, and was immediately thrown into racing. So I mostly tried to stay out of the way and just learn what was what on the boat. And I raced again last Saturday for a longer race, and felt much more comfortable on board. Not quite as much yelling as the Shearwater, although things do get hectic at times. Especially when I had no idea what the "kicker" was (it's the foreguy)! They also call the guys "braces", but most everything else is the same. We race out of the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron www.rmys.com.au, located right next to St Kilda beach. It's been a good way to see the area, and Melbourne looks quite majestic from the Bay. In order to keep racing, I would need to join the club, which is a bit pricey so I havent' decided if I have the funds yet.

As to teaching, I had my first day teaching my Astronomy class at LaTrobe University. It is a forty-five minute bus ride out to the campus, so I only go once a week and teach the same kids two sessions each day. My first day was last Thursday, and I was a little nervous and it didn't help that it was about 40 degrees (that's 100 for you non-aussies!) in the room. And of course, the first question they asked me was how old I was, I think they were a little surprised at being taught by such a youngin'. The second class went better, and I think I will really enjoy it in the future weeks.

Also, my knee has been feeling much better, a vast improvement recently. I have been doing a lot of rehab for it still, but it feels strong enough for me to play tennis at a casual level. Of course, I instead go and sign up for a competitive men's tournament. A good way to start playing for the first time in many months! So naturally, I got smoked by the first two people I played. Fortunately, the third player was even worse than me, so I did salvage some respect. But it was a lot of fun, and I met some cool people. Kersti and I are going to be playing coed doubles on Thursday nights, so we will have to get out there and practice!

I did try cooking my mom's famous tuna casserole last night. It came out quite well (way better than I expected on my first try), but I'll have to put more tuna in next time. For those of you familiar with my cooking skills, you will know that this is actually a signifcant accomplishment!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, we are happy to hear more stories from down-under! I'm glad you guys are eating well! - Now did I understand correctly that they have Safeway in Aust.
-Heather & Tim