Friday, April 18, 2008

Aths

The term "Athletics" refers to "track & field"... and since the Australians abbreviate everything possible, they call it "Aths". Track is also one syllable, so I personally believe they should switch to that as it's a more universal term. Anyways, the annual intercollegiate athletics carnival was last week... First, "intercollegiate" does not mean anything like the NCAAs! It means that all the University of Melbourne colleges (~10) were competing. I found out about the meet 3 weeks prior, and as I was NOT IN SHAPE, I was a bit worried about committing... They seemed desperate so I agreed to help them out since they needed to fill in some spots. They put me in for the 800m.

Training Program Begins: I went running regularly (5 times a week? maaaaybe) for only 20-25 minutes a crack. Yes, I know... And I did several (3) workouts on the track in that time. Billy took us out onto the track 2 weeks before the meet to do a workout. We wanted to find out how fast we could go, and to remind us what it felt like! (billy didn't compete - he did this out of pure love for me). So we did a bunch of striders and 200 m sprints to get us prepared for 2 400s. I tell you, it was not fun, and we were not impressed by our times!

In any event, I went back onto the track 2 more times and improved my speed and confidence. When the day of the race came, I was so nervous! My pride was on the line.. if I got last - or second to last, I would be utterly humiliated.

The starter gathered all the 800 m runners to announc heats. I was in the 3rd of 4 heats, and in my heat was the girl I had already identified as "the biggest threat". She was wearing mini spandex shorts and a sports bra... and it was her abs that gave her away. She just looked like a great 800 runner... so I was scared. Anyway, to make a not very exciting story much shorter... she beat me by the length of her chin and we both progressed into the finals.

The finals were 2 days later and she ended up beating me again! Terrible.. but oh well. Our team was not doing very well so all the fans were very pleased with a 2nd place. I don't know my official time, but we think it was a 2:22. So, only 4 seconds slower than what I could run when I was 16. :) haha. The saving grace was that I beat her later on in the 4x400 relay. We both were the first legs of the relay and I passed off the baton ahead of her by a few meters :)

Grandma - I was wearing the shoes you gave me :) The Nike Free's...

No comments: