Sunday, September 16, 2007

Birds: Crazy & Colorful

If you're a faithful reader, you may remember a previous post from our trip to Darwin in June... we mentioned how a huge bird (a whistling kite) swooped down and stole my peanut butter sandwich from right out of my hands... well, now I have been attacked a second time! It was just up the road in the park where I frequently run. I don't know what kind of bird it was, but it wasn't a kite.... and I can't get this picture to align correctly... but the point is, it's a mean looking black and white bird with a huge beak.


I was biking alongside Billy as he went for a short run through the park. He stopped to stretch so we pulled over and I left my helmet on (it was doubling as a nice sun visor!).... within a very short time, I was hit in the back of the head by the bird! It approached me from behind (just as the kite had)... so Billy saw it just as it hit me! CRAZY.... My helmet is shiny and red... maybe I looked like a tasty fish (?). I think these birds need to learn some better survival skills.

After the chaos had passed from my attack, we started noticing these beautiful birds up in the tops of the palm trees... THEY ARE CALLED RAINBOW LORIKEETs

I'm no ornithologist so I don't know what these are, but they are so beautiful, and friendly. Not once did they try to attack us.


Here is Billy stretching after his 2nd run since his July 2006 surgery! He ran for ~15 minutes! Good job, Billy! It was a beautiful day to be in the park... what a way to spend our Saturday.

Again, Blogger won't allow me to change the orientation of the picture (grrrrr.) But anyway, here's Billy waving to me beneath the palms.

No comments: