Thursday, September 20, 2007

Billy Goes to Work



While this is several weeks old, Blogger now lets us upload videos... so here he is, heading off to join the corporate world! And now he'll tell you about it...


So I have now settled into my new job at Nemmco, and things are going well. A bit of a change wearing a suit and tie everyday, but things are pretty relaxed at the office. I take the tram to and from work everyday, right into the the business district, and I've got a nice view of the river and bay from the twelfth floor. I can even see the sailboats out in the bay, a bit of a reminder how much I'd rather be out on the water!

I still have a hard time describing my job and what Nemmco does, here is their website for more info: http://www.nemmco.com.au/. Basically, they run the electricity market in Australia. They are a regulated company, meaning they are run just like a company but there income is set so that they can't make a profit (as they are a natural monopoly). I compare them to the ASX, except for the electricity market. NEMMCO is also in charge of ensuring that everyone gets their electricity as well, so when there is a brownout in Australia you know my company is having problems!

My specific job title is Metering Data and Process Analyst. Very official sounding. Basically my job consists of two parts. The first is that I organize the auditing of the metering providers. In other words, we randomly select buildings and check to make sure that the electricity readings (and resulting bills) coming from that building are correct. So of course, I signed up our own apartment building for the audit.

The second part of my job is more interesting. It invovles the analysis of the data set. It is the thought to be the largest data set in the Southern Hemisphere, as it basically includes all energy transfers within Australia, with the price of electricity set every half hour. There are a few measurables in terms of system's performance that have been steadily decreasing, so my job is to figure our why and come up with a fix.

So, I'm learning a lot about the utilities market and database analysis skills, as well as getting used to working at a corporate job. My co-workers are really helpful and friendly, it is a proffesional but relaxed environment. But it is mentally tiring, especially because my boss sits directly behind me so can see what I am doing at all times (even while I type this blog).

Okay, that's all for now. After all, I'm a working man nowadays...

Bill

No comments: