Sunday, February 25, 2007

Kersti's Classes

Why are we here? The question many of you have asked... I'm here to earn a master's degree in "environment" - unfortunately the diploma will be somewhat vague. But I will focus on a specific area, as yet undetermined. I'm leaning towards focusing on development so that I could ease into residential development, or even be a consultant for regional/urban planners... but we'll see. Things will evolve, no doubt. Here's a rundown of my classes for this term....

1. Sustainability Policy and Management (intensive, taught over weekends).... mainly lectures about the various challenges Australia faces in creating a sustainable society. Big group work component... my group so far is great. There are 4 australians (they have loads of local knowledge and actual skills & experience in resource management), a forester from Pakistan, and two asians (one chemical engineer - not sure what the other does because she has been silent). I bring zero skills to the group, but that's where I can apply the free rider principle... (just kidding.)

2. Environmental Impact Assessment... (monday nights) this begins tomorrow! I'll learn about everything that goes into making EIAs, critiquing them and loads more.

3. Fundamentals of GIS... (tuesday nights, with a practical on wednesday nights) Everything I want to know about using geographic information systems... vital in mapping resources to understand areas, and perfect as visuals when you want to get your point across.

4. Understanding Development... (thursday late afternoons) Past and current themes of development... why, how, etc... wonderful for me to use as I work towards developing sustainable communities or work with urban/regional planners.

Next term... "Community Natural Resource Management"; "Sustainable Water Resources Management"; "Managing Change"; "Trans-disciplinary thinking and learning" (a required one)

No comments: