Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stop #11 Pai (NW Thailand)

From Chiang Mai we took a minibus up into the mountains to the small, quiet town of Pai.

The drive wasn't that great. Billy and I shared the 1.5 seats next to the driver, who refused to turn on the air con (which of course we paid extra for), and the road was very, very windy. We were in one of those vans where the engine is underneath the front seat (very popular style here)... and so at one point, the window was down and I wanted to show billy how much heat was coming up from under the seat. As I was grabbing his arm and guiding it to the heat geyser, an entire bucket of water landed on my face and body. Yes, the Songkran festival continued. So I sat for the next 2.5 hours in my drenched clothes. The water was so dirty that as my shirt dried, a huge dirt stain became visible! Anyway, at least I had a moment's respite from the heat.

Once we arrived in Pai and checked into our lovely little bungalow, we were put at much ease.



This is our first bit of real nature of the trip!

I made Billy pose in front of our bungalow so I could capture a glimpse of the beautiful gardenia's outside.

Pai turned out to have some delicious food -- we ate Banana Flower Salad, Stewed mini Crabs in Coconut Milk, spring rolls, pizza, curries and lots of pad thai. All quite nice. Many of the restaurants were closed down, but we still ate well. We had a delectable banana roti (indian style crepe) from a street stand. MMMMmm!
Yeah, all we did was really relax and recenter ourselves in Pai ;)

No comments: